For COVID-19 disease outbreak information local resources, closures, and other related information visit our COVID-19 webpage.

Certificate of Occupancy


A building or structure shall not be used or occupied, and a change of occupancy of a building or structure or portion thereof shall not be made, until the building official has issued a certificate of occupancy there for as provided herein. Issuance of a certificate of occupancy shall not be constructed as an approval of a violation of the provisions of the building code of other ordinances of the jurisdiction.


A C.O. (Certificate of Occupancy) is required for:

  • Change of ownership
  • Change of tenant
  • Business name change
  • Change of use
  • New constructions
  • Existing building enlarged/altered

These requirements apply to all commercial projects. If there are multiple buildings on a property, a Certificate of Occupancy is required for each separate building. This will include all Apartment Buildings. Building numbers will need to be indicated on the application form (example Bldg. 1 - 10).

Exceptions - The following do NOT require a C.O

  • Subleases:  A Certificate of Occupancy is not required when an existing tenant subleases a portion of their space or a new business of the same “use” and “occupancy type”. Shared utilities are allowed for a subleased space. Occupancies that are different from the main use will not need a C.O. For example:  A bank as a sublease in a supermarket; an eye doctor as a sublease in a big box retail store. If these subleases come in as a finish out permit, the building final will complete the permit. A sublease is defined as a lease of a property by a tenant to a subtenant.            
  • Change of Ownership on a multi-tenant building (example: shopping center).

Sec. 4-36. - Certificate of Occupancy (Link to Municipal Code)