Gene Carey Animal Shelter and Adoption Center is currently closed. The tentative reopen schedule is Monday, April 6. However, given the rapidly changing impacts of COVID-19, the City will continue to reassess the situation and adjust as necessary.
- No owner-surrendered pets at this time
- We are not able to respond to Nuisance calls such as barking dogs, pets off-leash with an owner, or owners not cleaning up pet waste
- No animal adoptions available due to Denton County stay-at-home order which went into effect at 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, March 25 and will stay in place for seven days.
- Visitors are discouraged from coming to the shelter for a casual visit or to "hang out" with no interest in adopting
- For those searching for a lost pet or have found a pet, please view the Lost and Found Pets page prior to coming to the shelter. All animals impounded and all lost and found reports are posted there.
- Owner pick-up of animals will happen by appointment only
Animal Services staff continues to provide the full level of care for all animals at the shelter.
For information concerning COVID-19 in pets, view Texas Animal Health Comission's FAQ.
The Gene Carey Animal Shelter and Adoption Center is an open intake facility for Lewisville residents and accepts any animal regardless of health, age, or breed. Unfortunately, due to space constraints and limited resources of care, the shelter may not be able to offer every animal adoption opportunity. Animal Services regularly works with rescue organizations to help alleviate space and care capabilities, but encourage those wishing to surrender a pet to evaluate all other resources available prior to surrender.
Directions to our facility
Please DO NOT use your mobile GPS to navigate to the Shelter. Unfortunately, most GPS systems have not been updated to direct you to the right location.
Take IH-35 North, Exit 121B, take a right onto 121B, turn right on E. Valley Ridge which is one street past Main, follow the road to the end and our location is on the left.
Take IH-35 South, Exit 121B, take a left underneath the bridge onto 121B, Turn right on E. Valley Ridge which is one street past Main, follow the road to the end and our location is on the left.
From The Colony/Plano/Frisco:
From George Bush Tollroad, take 121B North to E Valley Ridge, Turn left on E. Valley Ridge, follow the road to the end and our location is on the left
Follow us on :