Gene Carey Animal Shelter and Adoption Center is currently closed due to the COVID-19 outbreak. The tentative reopen schedule is currently to be determined. Given the rapidly changing impacts of COVID-19, the City will continue to reassess the situation and adjust as necessary.
- Owner-surrendered pets are by appointment only. More information on the How to surrender a pet page.
- We are not able to respond to Nuisance calls such as barking dogs, pets off-leash with an owner, or owners not cleaning up pet waste
- Animals adoptions are by appointment only. For details, visit the Adoptable Pets page.
- For those searching for a lost pet or have found a pet, please view the Lost and Found Pets page prior to coming to the shelter. All animals impounded and all lost and found reports are posted there.
- Owner pick-up of animals are by appointment only.
Animal Services staff continues to provide the full level of care for all animals at the shelter.
For information concerning COVID-19 in pets, view Texas Animal Health Commission's FAQ.
To request assistance from Animal Services please call 972.219.3478
Animal Control Officers respond to calls and enforce the City animal service codes.
Dogs, cats, and ferrets 4 months or older are required to be currently vaccinated against rabies and licensed by the City. Dogs are required to be physically confined or restrained on a leash at all times. Invisible fences and voice commands are not an acceptable form of restraint. Impounded animals are housed at the Animal Shelter located at 995 E Valley Ridge Lewisville, TX 75057.
On-call officers will respond to after hours animal service related emergencies such as loose animals posing a threat to public health or safety, seriously injured stray animals, and the impound of an animal subsequent to its owner's arrest or accident, rabies suspects, and animal bites.