The selection process for Police Officer consists of several steps and is intended to produce the most current list of candidates who are qualified to become Lewisville Police Officers.
The City of Lewisville does not fall under State Civil Service Law.
The starting annual salary for Police Officer is $66,079 increasing to $68,699 after completion of the Field Training Program. The top of range salary for a police officer is $83,485.
The following requirements MUST be met to be considered for the lateral transfer program for Police Officer:
- Must have one-year continuous service as a paid, full-time certified peace officer with a municipal law enforcement agency with a population over 50,000 or work for a law enforcement entity/agency that employs over 100 sworn police officers who perform comparable law enforcement duties.
- Must have been in a position where they had the authority to enforce laws, investigate crimes, make arrests, respond to calls for service, carry a firearm, and use discretion as part of their assigned duties.
- Certified Police Officer applicants are eligible for the lateral police officer hire program if they have no more than a three-year break in service from the time they left a comparable law enforcement agency and the time they make application with the Lewisville Police Department.
- Experienced officers must successfully complete each step in the hiring process in the same manner as any other applicant.
- Applicants certified in another state, and who would qualify for the lateral entry program, will begin receiving lateral entry pay once they are TCOLE certified.
A lateral Police Officer is eligible for a starting salary based on his or her whole years of police experience. Service time, for determining the starting salary, can include multiple agencies if breaks in service are less than thirty days and all agencies meet the required criteria.
The starting annual salary for Police Officer for lateral entry is:
1 Year of Experience $71,422
2 Years of Experience $74,252
3 Years of Experience $77,240
4 Years of Experience $80,055
5 Years of Experience $83,485
The City provides a full complement of benefits: TMRS, 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan with a City match of 3.76% to a 401(a) Plan, Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance, Life Insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance and Long-Term Disability Insurance, three weeks paid vacation, fifteen days paid sick leave, and nine paid holidays. Officers are also eligible for up to $150 a month for education/certification pay after successful completion of the training program and $50/month for Spanish bilingual pay.
An application MUST be submitted through the City of Lewisville website using the on-line application.
ONCE YOU HAVE SUBMITTED YOUR APPLICATION ON-LINE, UPON REVIEW, YOU WILL RECEIVE AN EMAIL. IF SELECTED TO TAKE THE WRITTEN TEST, THE EMAIL WILL INCLUDE INSTRUCTIONS FOR SCHEDULING YOUR WRITTEN TEST AND A PERSONAL HISTORY STATEMENT FOR YOU TO COMPLETE AND BRING TO THE WRITTEN TEST.
Date: October 13, 2018
Test Check-In: 7:30 a.m. - 8 a.m. No one will be admitted after 8 a.m.
Physical Ability Test
The physical ability test will occur immediately after the applicant has successfully completed and passed the written test on October 13, 2018.
Testing Address: Jerry R. Galler Public Safety Training Center, 701 East Valley Ridge Blvd, Lewisville TX 75057
NOTE: We recommend you wear PT attire & athletic footwear to the written and physical ability tests. We also recommend you that you hydrate the day before and the day of the physical ability test to prevent heat exhaustion.
**** Applicants will not be admitted to the Test Site without an official picture ID (driver's license, state-issued ID card, or military ID).
**** The following ID's will not be accepted: Employer ID's (including police and sheriff ID's), Student ID's, and other state ID's other than driver's license.
**** Any applicant requesting an accommodation for the written examination must submit this request in writing to the Human Resources Director a minimum of five days prior to the examination.
High School Diploma or GED or 2 years of active duty military service with an honorable discharge.
Law enforcement or related experience preferred.
TCOLE License preferred.
• Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age at the time of the written entrance examination.
• Must be a US Citizen.
• Be fingerprinted and subjected to a search of records to disclose a criminal record.
• Not be on probation for a criminal offense.
• Must submit to and pass a pre-employment drug test and physical exam.
• Ability to distinguish between red, yellow, and green to accurately describe suspects and vehicles and to identify traffic lights and sign colors.
• Have vision correctable to 20/20 binocular for all hours of the day including day, evening and night.
• Must possess a valid State of Texas Driver License Class “C” and good driving record as defined by City policy.
• Ability to successfully pass a validated physical ability test.
• Ability to pass a background investigation (See attached).
• Ability to pass post-offer physical, psychological, and drug test.
Employment Application: All applicants must complete and submit a City of Lewisville employment application located at cityoflewisville.com prior to the date of the written exam. All applicants must bring with them a completed Personal History Statement to the test.
Written Examination: The written examination is given to all applicants. All exam materials and pencils are provided. The written exam is designed to measure applicants’ abilities related to the following content areas:
• Observation and Memory
• Written Communication/Report Writing
• Reading and Understanding Written Information
• Reasoning/Analytical Ability
Applicants are given 2 hours to take the written examination. Applicants must score a 70 or above on the written exam to proceed to the physical ability test. Electronic devices (Calculators, cellular phones, or tablets) will not be allowed in the examination room. Written examination results will be available immediately following the written exam.
Physical Ability Test: The physical ability test is administered following the Written Exam. This test includes various events designed to determine overall physical ability to perform the duties of a City of Lewisville Police Officer. The score on the physical ability test will be pass/fail only and will not affect the order of the eligibility list, but only determines if an applicant remains on the list. Passing or failing the physical ability test is based upon the applicant's aggregate score over all six events, not an individual event.
The physical ability test will be CANCELLED if it’s raining on the day of the test. Please check the weather.
PLEASE NOTE: These tests are strenuous. If you have had a recent illness, surgery or are under medication, ask your doctor if it is safe for you to take the physical ability test. This is for your own safety. We suggest that you wear some form of athletic footwear. Elevated footwear will not be permitted.
Eligibility List: Candidates will remain on the eligibility list for a twelve-month period from the date their name is placed on this list (after successful completion of the written test and physical ability test). Candidates are placed on the eligibility list based on the test score. All TCOLE licensed applicants will be prioritized over other applicants.
If at any time an applicant becomes a TCOLE licensed police officer, he/she can submit proof of the license to Human Resources and at that time, will be moved up on the list to be ranked by written score with all other licensed applicants.
Applicants who are bilingual in Spanish and English and score 70 or above on the written exam are eligible to test for five additional points added to their written score. To qualify for the additional five points, applicants who score 70 or above on the written exam should call Human Resources at 972-219-3450 to schedule the bilingual proficiency test.
Applicants who have prior military service and score 70 or above on the written exam will receive five additional points added to their written score. To qualify for the additional five points, applicants who score 70 or above on the written exam should present proof at the time of check-in at the written test.
As an applicant tests, he/she will be placed on the eligibility list and ranked by written score with other applicants already on the list whose backgrounds have not yet been moved to the background investigation.
Background Investigation: Based on the applicant’s position on the eligibility list, candidates will have a thorough background investigation completed from the information provided by the applicant.
Polygraph: All applicants are required to take a pre-employment polygraph and may be subject to a conditional offer of employment polygraph to verify accuracy of information provided during the background investigation.
Medical and Psychological Examination: After a conditional offer of employment, each candidate is required to undergo a thorough medical examination that is provided by the City of Lewisville. Each candidate must also be examined by a licensed psychologist after a conditional offer of employment. Candidates will be required to pass a post-offer drug test.
To register go to, please click on the button below.
Applicants are permitted to attend only one practice physical ability test date.
The PRACTICE dates are scheduled for: October 2, 2018 at 8 a.m.
Address: Jerry R. Galler Public Safety Training Center, 701 East Valley Ridge Blvd., Lewisville, TX 75057
This practice session will be CANCELLED if it is raining on the day of the practice.
The registration link is for the PRACTICE TEST ONLY and NOT the actual written test.
For questions, you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org or Recruiting at 972.219.3616.
East on Main
Left on Kealy
Right on Valley Ridge Blvd.
.8 miles to Test Site
Site is on the left side of the road.
The registration link below is for the PRACTICE TEST ONLY and NOT the actual written test.