- Lock your doors and windows when leaving your home.
- Be sure to set your alarm when leaving home, if you have one.
- Keep your garage door closed, even when you are home.
- Install exterior lighting.
- Trim or remove bushes or shrubs in front of windows.
- Get to know your neighbors and watch each other's properties.
- Don’t leave a spare key under the mat or other obvious place. Leave one with a trusted neighbor instead.
- Do not announce vacations or other absences on social media, such as Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Stop mail and newspaper services when leaving your home for extended periods.
- Put lights on timers to help make your house look occupied while you are away for extended periods.
- Request a Home Security Survey from the Lewisville Police Department (see instructions below).
Home Security Survey
At your request, a Neighborhood Resource Officer (NRO) will survey your home and provide you with security recommendations. If certain minimum standards are met, your home may qualify for a homeowner's insurance reduction. Please click on the following links for a detailed list of home security recommendations. Contact your NRO to schedule an inspection appointment.
To find your NRO, please type your address into the search box in the upper right corner of our interactive map, then click on the zone your address appears in.
Home Security and your Windows:http://tcpa.org/pdf/homesecurityandyourwindows.pdf
Home Security and your Doors:
The Lewisville Police Department also offers residents the option to report certain types of crimes online. Visit our Online Reports page for more information.