For COVID-19 information including the phased reopening plan for the city, local resources, closures, and other related information visit our COVID-19 webpage.

Our Department


History of the Department

LFD Dept uniform patch 2018

History Collage

Many years ago, the City of Lewisville was merely a stopping point along Highway 77 from Dallas to Denton and points north. As the area became popular and the population increased, so did its needs, including the need for fire protection.

In 1904, in an area of Lewisville we now proudly call Old Town, a fire started in the chimney of a local store's wood stove.  Downtown merchants rushed to put out the fire. They used a hand drawn water wagon and buckets, but the fire spread rapidly and several downtown buildings were lost. Their efforts were valiant, mainly due in part to the fact that Lewisville has always been a community that helps those in need.

Lewisville became incorporated as a City in 1925 and in February of 1927, Jack Lewis was appointed as the City’s first Fire Marshal. During this time there was no formal staff and a hand-cranked siren called volunteers to help put out fires. In 1946, Baxter Hasten was appointed as the City’s first Volunteer Fire Chief.

The year 1932 came along and the City of Lewisville purchased their first fire engine.  It was housed in what is now the Old Well House, which was built in 1927. This building stands today as it did back then and is often photographed for its historical features. This building served as City Hall, the jail, and Firehouse 1 for approximately 24 years before construction began next door on a new station in 1950. Heading up the construction crew were Volunteer Fire Chief Frank Stockard, 25 volunteer firemen working at night or in the off-hours from their regular jobs, and the President of the Chamber of Commerce, F.C. Conner, who was also a contractor.

1964 brought about the hiring of the first full-time paid Fire Chief, Isaac Bradbury, and was soon followed by several paid firefighters working eight-hour shifts during the day. One of those early paid firefighters was Danny Cobb, who also served as a Captain with the Lewisville Police Department.

In 1969, the Firehouse/City Hall constructed in 1950 was demolished and a new brick structure was erected that housed not only the shift personnel but also the administrative offices of the Fire Department. 

During the 1970s, at a time when the Volunteer Firefighters' jobs began to take a toll on their availability, firefighters transitioned to 24-hour shifts.  The Department began operating an ambulance service and the Central Fire Station was built. This allowed for staffing of firefighters on both sides of Interstate 35 E.

Station 3 opened in 1985 to serve south Lewisville. This house originally operated with a paramedic fire engine equipped with a 55 ft. telescoping ladder to provide fire protection for the numerous multistory apartments being built in the area. Station 4 soon followed in 1988 covering the northern portion of Lewisville.

In 1998, the department saw many changes.  Central Fire Station was remodeled; Station 2, built in 1969, was moved to Main Street in Old Town Lewisville; and Station 5 was built to serve the Waters Ridge area in southeastern Lewisville.  All three stations currently operate a paramedic fire engine and a Mobile Intensive Care Unit (MICU) ambulance.

In May of 2000, Station 6 was dedicated.  It serves the eastern portion of Lewisville, which includes Castle Hills. This station now houses a ladder truck and a MICU ambulance.

Station 7 was opened in 2009. The Battalion Chiefs and the ladder truck formerly at Station 3 were relocated to this more central location on Texas Street.

Nearly ten years later, in 2018, a new Station 3 was built at 500 W. Round Grove Road to better serve the growth in the southwest part of the City.  The department runs a paramedic fire engine and a MICU ambulance out of the station.

Station 8 was constructed off of Josey Lane and opened in 2019 with a paramedic fire engine company.  This station will partner with Station 6 to better serve the eastern growth and Castle Hills residents.

The City has gone from a hand drawn water wagon and buckets to six fire engines, two aerial ladder trucks, five MICU ambulances, and two Dive Rescue boats. The days when volunteers were summoned using a hand-cranked siren have given way to a large staff of full-time paid firefighters, paramedics, divers, and administrative staff.  The Department responds to life or property threatening calls over 11,000 times per year.  Each new day provides the Lewisville Fire department with another page in our history book. 

The Lewisville Fire Department continuously strives to provide the best service and protection possible to our citizens. The future holds more growth for the Lewisville Fire Department with an eye towards protecting the safety and welfare of the citizens and businesses in Lewisville.

To the citizens of Lewisville and all of the past members of the Lewisville Fire Department, both volunteer and paid, thank you for providing us with a proud past and a bright future.


B160 Logo

Battalion Chiefs

Hiring Requirements & Process




Pipes/Drums & HG

Lewisville Fire Department

Honor Guard

Pipes & Drums