Lewisville offers high-quality municipal services to its residents and business community, while maintaining a balanced budget, healthy reserve fund, and one of the lowest combined tax rates in North Texas.
Property Tax Rate History
- The City passed a balanced 2017-18 budget and continues to have one of the lowest tax rates in the DFW region at .436086 per $100 assessed valuation.
- The city's property tax rate is at its lowest level in the past 30 years (1987), and is currently 23.9% lower than in 1993 when the rate peaked at .5784 cents per $100 valuation. The city's property tax rate has increased just once in the past 24 years, and has gone down 11 times during that same period.
Value of Lewisville City Services
- The chart to the right illustrates the findings of a study conducted by the City of Carrollton. The annual survey compares cities to determine best value to residents of all city services. The full survey includes property and sales taxes, water and sewer bills, drainage, and garbage collection. Based on a $200,000 home, Lewisville is the only city with resident costs below $2,000 per year.
Property Tax Breakdown
- For the typical Lewisville household, 12% of taxes goes to Denton County, 21% goes to the City, and 67% goes to Lewisville ISD.
- Based on the 2017-18 property tax rolls, one penny on the City tax rate generates approximately $960,000 in tax revenue.
Department Budget Allocations
The average price for a home in Lewisville: $217,000Based on a .436086 rate, the yearly taxes on the average Lewisville home $946.31Monthly taxes on the average home in Lewisville: $78.86
As previously mentioned, 21% of Lewisville resident's taxes go to the City of Lewisville. Based on the overall General Fund budget, the annual taxes paid on an average Lewisville home would be allocated as follows:
Lean City Government
A 2017 study conducted by Dallas Business Journal found that Lewisville has one of the leanest local governments in North Texas. The study focused on cities with more than 30,000 residents and includes full-time, part-time, and temporary employees.
In this study, Lewisville has a population of 104,659 and 734 City employees. That works out to about 70 employees per 10,000 residents.
For comparison, the average North Texas city has 98 employees per 10,000 residents.