Texas Pop Turns 50
Saturday, Aug. 31 & Sunday, Sept. 1
2-11:30 p.m. each day
Tickets on sale now from Ticketmaster
Labor Day weekend 1969, just two weeks after Woodstock, Lewisville was the location of one of the largest music events Texas had ever seen. The event drew more than 100,000 music fans – including more than a fair share of colorfully dressed hippies that sparked a bit of controversy among the locals – for three days of live entertainment at the former Dallas International Motor Speedway and a smaller free stage on the shores of Lewisville Lake. The Texas International Pop Festival featured such performers as Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, Santana, Sly & the Family Stone, Canned Heat, Chicago Transit Authority, and more.
Glen Clark Band
Jonathan Tyler & The Northern Lights
The Box Tops
Grand Funk Railroad
Food vendor applications are now being accepted for Texas Pop Turns 50 on Aug. 31-Sept. 1
Only 12-15 food vendors will be accepted. Food vendors will be juried as to menu type and presentation. Deadline: Aug. 9
This event will not have product and commercial vendors, but sponsorships are available.
Food vendor questions: Jamie Milstead, email@example.com
Tickets now on sale at Ticketmaster
- $30 Single Day Admission (+ taxes and Ticketmaster fees)
- $50 Two-Day Admission (+ taxes and Ticketmaster fees)
- $125 VIP (+ taxes and Ticketmaster fees) SOLD OUT AS OF MONDAY, JULY 15, 2019
Two-day admission, covered seating area, catered dinner both days, preferred parking, complimentary festival t-shirt
- Children 10 and under FREE and do not require at ticket
- Illegal weapons and narcotics
- Recording devices outside of cell phones
- Professional photography equipment except for authorized festival photographers or members of the working media
- Food or drink (except empty refillable water bottle and snacks/drinks for toddlers)
- Bicycles, skateboards, scooters, other personal transport vehicles
Pop Festival Hotel Packages:
Hampton Inn & Suites and Hilton Garden Inn are offering a special room rate which includes:
- breakfast each morning
- transportation between these two hotels and the concert venue provided by the City of Lewisville (no onsite parking allowed at the event)
- transportation wristband for each guest for the weekend
- festival t-shirt for each room guest and one keepsake poster per room (provided by the City of Lewisville)
- special room rates are available until August 23 or until sold-out, whichever comes first.
|Hampton Inn & Suites
2650 Lake Vista Drive
Hilton Garden Inn
Local RV Camping locations:
Lake Park Campground, 972.219.3742, reservations can be made by phone from 9 a..m. - 8 p.m.
Sandy Lake RV Resort,972.242.6808
Destiny RV Resorts - Denton location, 940.497.3353
Hidden Cove Park and Marina, 972.294.1443
Looking for additional lodging options? Find a list of local hotels at VisitLewisville.com.
The City of Lewisville and Music City Mall are proud to present the Summer of '69 Concert Series, at Music City Mall, 2401 S. Stemmons Freeway.
|Friday, July 19
Basket Case, A Green Day Tribute
|Friday, Aug. 23
Swan Song, A Led Zeppelin Tribute
Concerts are 6:30-8 p.m., and are free to attend and will be are set to rock the Center Court Stage, right below the food court.
This series is a buildup to the City-sponsored "Texas Pop Turns 50" Labor Day concert festival at Lewisville Lake Park golf course. ZZ Top and Chicago are headliners for the two-day event.
For more details on The Summer of '69 Concerts, contact Music City Mall General Manager, Natalie Boyer, 432.528.0049, or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, June 21,
Escape, A Journey Tribute
Make plans to visit the Medical City Lewisville Grand Theater, 100 N. Charles to view the "Texas International Pop Festival: 50 Years Later" exhibit. The exhibit will be on display in the Main Art Gallery from Saturday, Aug. 31 - Saturday, Oct. 19, with an opening reception on Friday, Aug. 30, 7-9 p.m.
The exhibit will include rare photographs, archival video footage, oral histories, and artifacts that share a glimpse into that unforgettable weekend.
The gallery is open Tuesday - Saturday, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. and during public events at the venue.
Located in the heart of historic downtown Lewisville, MCL Grand is the premier public arts facility in Southern Denton County. The 40,000-square-foot facility features a 296-seat proscenium theater, black box theater, dance recital hall, art gallery, five art classrooms and a large courtyard. Medical City Lewisville has a multi-year agreement with the city for naming rights at the center.
To reach MCL Grand from Interstate 35E, take exit 452 and proceed east on Main Street to Charles Street. MCL Grand will be on the left. Free public parking is available along Main and Church streets, or at Lewisville City Hall across Church Street from the center.
For details about upcoming events, or rental information for the facility, please visit MCLGrand.com or call 972.219.8446.
Festival Dates & Times
Saturday, August 31 3 p.m. – 11:30 p.m.
Saturday, September 1 3 p.m. – 11:30 p.m.
(Gates open at 2 p.m. both days)
- $30 – General Admission (Saturday OR Sunday)
- $50 – Two day pass (Saturday AND Sunday)
- $125 VIP (Saturday and Sunday, catered dinner, complimentary beverages, preferred parking consideration, complimentary T-shirts) SOLD OUT AS OF MONDAY, JULY 15, 2019
- Kids 10 and under admitted free
- Tickets are only available through Ticketmaster
- There will be no general admission or two-day pass holder parking on site. Complimentary shuttles will begin running 2 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. both days. Shuttle lots and locations to be determined.
- VIP ticket holders will have closer proximity parking in the adjacent sports field lots near the golf course. Maps to be provided later and parking areas will be signed.
- Existing ADA parking will be in force in paved parking areas with ADA parking placard. Additional alternate parking areas may be established for ADA needs. Shuttles will have ADA capabilities.
- Overnight camping is available, but only through the established Lake Park campground. At this time, no tent camping available on site. Reservations: 972.219.3742.
Live Music Headliners:
Saturday, Aug. 31 ZZ Top
Sunday, Sept. 1 Chicago
- We will not have product and commercial vendors, but sponsorships are available. Call Daren Watkins for details and inquiries: 972.219.3710
- Texas Pop 50 Food Vendor application. We will have space for 12-15 vendors, and vendors will be juried based on vendor type and presentation. Application deadline is August 9.
Coolers, alcoholic beverages, bicycles, skateboards, personal transport vehicles and illegal weapons of any kind except for authorized law enforcement personnel.
Low profile collapsible lawn chairs are permitted. Small umbrellas for shade are permitted if they aren’t too tall as to obstruct the view of other attendees.
Festival Entry Points:
(Pedestrians only) Entry points to the festival will be on the northern edge of the venue. You will not be able to drive to the entry in a personal vehicle. Attendees will either need to walk to entry points, or we will be operating transports from the shuttle drop off location. More information to follow. There will be an ADA viewing area for those who need this assistance.
Only service animals allowed. (No pets allowed on shuttle buses.)
Rain Out Date:
Texas Pop Turns 50 is a rain or shine event
ZZ Top and Chicago to headline Lewisville music festival, Cross Timbers Gazette, May 29, 2019
Labor Day weekend 1969, just two weeks after Woodstock, more than 100,000 music fans came to Lewisville for the Texas International Pop Festival, at the former Dallas International Motor Speedway and a smaller free stage on the shores of Lewisville Lake. Performers at that three-day music festival included Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, Santana, Grand Funk Railroad, Chicago (then called Chicago Transit Authority), and more.
Check out the festival history page for more information on this historic event.
Check out two Lewisville Looks Back videos about the Texas International Pop Festival
|Interview with James Polser||Interview with Mayor Rudy Durham|